The Best Reaction Throughout a Tooth Extraction
Pulling teeth doesn’t have to be worrisome, as long as you know what expect from the procedure. Before your tooth extraction, review these tips for aftercare.
A tooth extraction is a very safe procedure, but some people have an increased risk of complications due to special medical circumstances. Before your dentist begins pulling teeth, make him aware of your complete medical history, any pre-existing conditions, and all of the medications and supplements you are currently taking. This will allow the dentist to take the proper precautions and prescribe the ideal aftercare.
When the Dentist is Done
After the dentist has finished pulling teeth, he will pack a gauze pad into the tooth socket and ask you to bite down on it to both stop the bleeding and form a protective blood clot that will allow the wound to heal. Be very cautious about protecting the blood clot because if it loosens, you will experience severe pain that requires immediate toothache relief. Call your dentist right away if this occurs to take care of the problem promptly.
Once your tooth extraction is over, you will recover at home for the next week. Follow these helpful hints to get toothache relief and expedite your recovery:
- Relax for at least 24 hours after the procedure.
- Limit physical activity for the next two days.
- Take painkillers as prescribed for toothache relief.
- When lying down, prop your head up with pillows.
- Apply ice to the affected area immediately after the tooth extraction to reduce swelling. Continue this treatment for about 10 minutes at a time throughout your recovery.
- Do not rinse your mouth or spit for 24 hours after the extraction to avoid disturbing the blood clot.
- After 24 hours, rinse with warm saltwater.
- Do not drink from a straw for a day following the procedure.
- Eat soft foods, slowly adding solid foods as you heal.
- Brush and floss your teeth as usual, but avoid the tooth extraction site.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Detroit, call Gentle Dental at Grand River Avenue today at (313) 651-7260 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental at Grand River Avenue, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental at Grand River Avenue.